Thursday, February 5, 2009

She's Just Being Miley...


Image Courtesy of AngryAsianMan.com


Let me tell why this is racist.

It makes fun of an attribute that is selective to an ethnic group. In this case, the "shape" of Asian eyes. Most of you have probably seen my Facebook status. I never said Miley Cyrus was racist. I said that the picture was and that the gesture is. And I apologize for getting all intense and angry when I would explain myself. I get really passionate about Racism on all fronts, not just Asian American.

I've heard all the same stuff about this picture.
"It's funny."
"What's wrong with it?"
"It's in the privacy of her own home and it leaked."
"Why do you worry about something like this?"
"It's not THAT bad."

It might be funny in their circle of friends, but that doesn't make it okay. I know I've said somethings among my friends that did have racial connotations. I guess to say I haven't said anything recently might be some b.s. too. Looking back at it, I look hella stupid for saying that stuff. I'm embarrassed because I've decided before to let ignorance and stupidity be a core for jokes.

But if anything, I've always stood strong for equality. I've defended the belittlement of Mexicans and Mexcian Americans when they were all blamed for immigration, I've stood by the kids who were targeted during the Jena-6 and also I've stood by LGBQT community as well.

I'm not going to lie and say that I haven't made a joke or funny comment. Do I get special permission for that? Hell no, it's just as wrong and ignorant as anyone else.

Regardless of the intent (whether or not it's a joke or whatever else), she (and her friends) still did the gesture. The pulling of the eyes back mocks the shape of Asian eyes. It's racist because, it's racially connected. It's also very ignorant and offensive.

She needs to apologize for this because it sets a very bad example to her fans and non-fans for that matter. And it also impacts the Asian American community. Miley Cyrus, carries a lot of influence and if kids or whoever else sees this, it begins to look okay to do this. Not only does this ostricize the Asian American kids, but who knows what this can lead too. It can lead to deeper racism, ignorance and hate crimes. Her actions are encouraging taunting and OK-ed doing this. And just because there's an Asian in this picture, doesn't make it okay by any means. And just because Miley is 16 or whatever doesn't excuse it either. She's in an industry that deals with different people of different races and also lives in a city that is pretty diverse as well.

Right now this targets Asian Americans. In the future who is next to be targeted? It could be Black, hispanics, gays. Any act of this shouldn't be tolerated.

If you're not called out, told about your mistakes or told about your offensive comments how can one learn and grow from that? People (as well as Miley) need to realize the fault in their lapse of judgement and see the effects that their actions can have.

Finally, to say that there are bigger things to worry about is false. Racism is not a small issue and it is not gone. Sure this Miley Cyrus pic is just a snippet of it, but racism, sexism and ignorace is still around and very much prevalant. I feel like Americans are just fed this crap that if it's not violent then it's not racism, but what many fail to see is that one small thing can set someone off to be full of hate and you never know what kind of actions can spring off that.

What if I just turned my head to every "small" ignorant thing that happened? How can we achieve a better society and world peace if we okay ignorance and racism?


Spanish Olympic Basketball Team -- "showing love" to their Chinese sponsor and the Olympic Commitee

Drunken Negro Cookies -- Sold By A French Bakery in New York, inspired by Barack Obama


This stuff isn't any different. Google it.

No comments: